Thursday, January 6, 2011

Ruffle collars

This summer I made a new variation of the basic shirt I've made multiple times for my daughter. I use the shirt pattern from the Kitty pattern by Children's Corner -- it's a Peter Pan collar shirt without puffed sleeves. This time I decided to add a ruffle to the collar. I made a bias strip about 36" long, hand hemmed it and then sewed it into the collar seam (I made the collar a little shorter to adjust for the width of the ruffle). I narrowed the ruffle as it neared the edge.

I made the short-sleeve purple gingham one first and liked it but thought the ruffle was a little too deep and the collar itself a little too wide (the ruffles overlap a little where they meet). I like the proportions on the long-sleeve pink one better.

My daughter loves these ruffles, and I like them too. It did take forever, though, what with hand-hemming the ruffle and then fiddling with the gathers to make them even. . .

No comments: