Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Smocking a blue-dotted dress


I started a new dress for my girl. She's getting older and it seems to me that the window for making really traditional, high-waisted, collared, smocked dresses is closing but I wanted to sneak a couple more through.

The fabric is tiny blue pindots on white. I don't have a pleater so I always hand pleat for smocking; this time I could use the dots for spacing so I didn't have to mark it out with a ruler or smocking dots. I didn't think it through but as I was pleating realized that this means the dots themselves line up in rows.

I'm using the Ginger's Basic Yoke Dress pattern. It's just a straightforward puff-sleeved, Peter Pan-collared dress but I chose this pattern years ago because of the wide size range (6 months - age 12). The smocking is with a single strand of Floche in colors 3325 & 775 and the smocking design is from 'Jennifer" in Australian Smocking & Embroidery #82.

8/17/11 update -- here's the completed dress (finished back in June)! I shadow-stitched the bow on the yoke. It was the first time I did this kind of embroidery and it was easy-peasy.


No comments: